When you are using NordVPN then suddenly you see a notification in the form of “PASSWORD: Verification Failed: 'Auth'” then that means NordVPN failed to authenticate the password for our account. This kind of condition usually occurs due to several reasons, for example due to the use of special characters in passwords which are not supported by NordVPN, restrictions by firewalls, and also caused by the installation of corrupt files.
Several users said that they experienced this error when trying to connect a location. This problem occurs with NordVPN desktop application types, mobile applications, and browser extensions. Even in some cases, errors appear on some types of servers such as P2P servers.
7+ Ways to Easily Overcome NordVPN PASSWORD Verification Failed Auth
Before we move on to tips for dealing with NordVPN PASSWORD Verification Failed 'Auth', make sure that there are no NordVPN servers that are disabled or out of reach. As a first step, try connecting to a different server location because who knows, the server you are using may be overloaded. After that, make sure the internet connection you are using is smooth.
Also make sure not to connect more than 6 devices under the same credentials. and don't forget to log in to the official NordVPN website to confirm whether the credentials you are using are valid or not. So, here are some methods that you can apply:
Method 1: Re-Login to NordVPN
Authentication failure may result from a temporary error in software communication with the system. To fix this, first log out of the NordVPN application and then log in again to solve this problem. How to Overcome NordVPN PASSWORD Verification Failed Auth this time can only be used if the error experienced occurs in the Windows application version.
- Open the app NordVPN then click the button icon gear wheel at the top to open the settings menu.
- In the left panel window, scroll to the bottom then click Logout.
- Restart your computer device then log in again with the credentials you have.
- Check whether the application is back to normal or not.
Method 2: Make sure NordVPN is always updated
One of the main factors that often causes login problems on NordVPN is using an out-of-date version of the application. Outdated versions can result in various compatibility issues, including difficulties in the authentication process.
Therefore, it is very important to check and ensure that you are using the latest version of the NordVPN app. The latest version of the app not only comes with bug fixes and security improvements, but is also designed to recognize your login details more accurately. By updating your apps, you will reduce the risk of experiencing errors when trying to log in, and this will also help in maintaining the security of your data and privacy when using VPN services
It's easy, go to settings on the top bar/side of NordVPN > on Software update, select update now
Method 3: Allowing NordVPN Client Through System Firewall
The firewall or antivirus you use plays an important role in data security. However, some firewalls are equipped with super strict settings so they will block several files, one of which is important files needed by the NordVPN application.
Because of this, the VPN client cannot make a connection to a server. If this problem occurs, then one solution is simply to open the settings restrictions on the firewall / antivirus that you are using.
Attention: the steps below include temporarily disabling the antivirus and firewall in the computer system. This increases the risk to data security on the system from virus attacks, trojans, ransomware, and so on.
1. Temporarily disable third-party antivirus or firewall installed on your computer. Take note also Windows Defender, if it also acts as an antivirus / firewall with strict settings, then also disable Windows Defender.
How to turn off Windows Defender: click Windows on the keyboard > type windows security and enter > click on virus & threat protection > on virus & threat protection settings, click manage settings > turn off realtime protection
2. You can also add an exception list to the VPN Client settings in the antivirus program you use. Here are some additional files that you need to add to your antivirus / firewall settings:
Once everything is done, rerun VPN to check whether the error is still there or not.
Method 4: Reset NordVPN Password
NordVPN extensions and applications have problems connecting to the server if they contain special characters in the password that we create. Moreover, if your account has been shared on social media such as Pastebin and accessed by many users, NordVPN will limit use because it is considered misuse of the credential license. To overcome this problem, you need to change the password you use without using special characters in it. Here's how to overcome NordVPN PASSWORD Verification Failed Auth by resetting the password:
- Logout from NordVPN either via app or browser extension.
- Run the web browser then visit NordVPN UCP and log in using the credential code you have. If that fails, log in to your NordVPN Account
- Click menu Change Password on the top main bar then click the button Send Reset Link.
- Open the email registered with NordVPN then use the link that appears to reset the password. And make sure you don't use special characters when creating a password.
- Re-login use the new password, then see if NordVPN is back to normal.
Method 5: Repair NordVPN Application Installation
If the VPN installation is corrupt, NordVPN will fail to verify the authentication password because the existing module cannot function as it should. To overcome this, we need to repair the NordVPN installation using the “repair” option from the default NordVPN installer which will automatically look for files that are different from the original and then replace them with new files.
- Log out of the VPN account then open the browser to Download NordVPN
- Click the button Downloads to re-download the VPN application
- Open the installation file to run the setup installation then click the button Repair
- Restart your device and try opening the NordVPN app again
Method 6: Reinstall NordVPN App
If you have repaired it but still get errors, then you can try reinstalling the NordVPN application or extension. However, it should be noted that if we reinstall, we will delete the configuration settings that were previously set. After that you have to log in again using the NordVPN credential key.
1. Log out of account NordVPN
2. Click the search bar then type Control Panel and click enter
3. Select the first result that appears then click
4. On the Control Panel page, click Uninstall a Program
Quick Guide : In windows 11, just click windows button on the keyboard > type add or remove programsselect > uninstall the app
5. Please uninstall the following applications:
- NordVPN Network TAP
- NordVPN Network TUN
6. If the uninstallation process is complete now restart the system
7. Download NordVPN then install
8. Run NordVPN then log in again with the correct activation key
For MacOS devices, you can uninstall the NordVPN application and extension by following the steps above. After reinstalling, you will be directed to a page to enter your NordVPN password via keychain. To do so please follow the steps below:
- Open Keychains then search and open it NordVPN.
- Click Show Password then copy the password that appears.
- Paste password earlier in the NordVPN client account then check whether the login was successful or not.
- If not, quit NordVPN then delete all entries related to NordVPN on Keychain.
- Relaunch the VPN then when the question about security permissions appears, check the option Always Allowthen click the button Allow.
- NordVPN reconnection with the server of your choice or you can try another country's server until it connects well.
Method 7: Disable CyberSec, Invisibility on LAN and Obfuscated Servers
As many people know that NordVPN has bugs related to CyberSec, Invisibility on LAN and Obfuscated Servers when trying to connect to a location. In this case the VPN will make authentication on the network an error and will display an error message in the form of NordVPN PASSWORD Verification Failed 'Auth'. To fix this, we need to deactivate these three features and reconnect to the server.
- Open the app NordVPN then click gear icon to open the settings menu.
- In the left panel window, select tab General.
- Switch to the right-hand panel and disable the feature CyberSec: Block Ads and Malicious Websites.
- Open the advanced tab on the left panel then disable the feature Obfuscated Servers (Open VPN).
- Also disable the feature Invisibility of LAN which is at the bottom.
- Restart the computer then run NordVPN again and see whether it is normal or not.
If the connection is successful, then you can reactivate the settings on CyberSec, Invisibility on LAN and Obfuscated Servers. However, after the feature is activated and the error returns again, you can continue to deactivate it.
Questions and answers
1. What are the common causes of the PASSWORD: Verification Failed: 'Auth' error message on NordVPN?
This error message often occurs for several reasons, such as using special characters in passwords that are not supported by NordVPN, restrictions by firewalls, or corrupt file installations.
2. What is the first recommended way to solve authentication problems on NordVPN?
The first way is to re-login to NordVPN. This involves logging out of the app, restarting the device, and then logging back in using valid credentials.
3. Why is it important to keep NordVPN up to date?
Updating NordVPN is important because outdated versions can cause compatibility issues and difficulties in the authentication process. The latest versions usually have better bug fixes and security improvements.
4. What should I do if my firewall or antivirus is blocking my NordVPN connection?
If this happens, the solution is to temporarily disable the firewall or antivirus and add NordVPN files to the exception list in the security settings.
Question: What is the process for resetting NordVPN password to solve the problem
These are some ways to overcome NordVPN PASSWORD Verification Failed 'Auth' that you can do. Hopefully, with the methods we have provided, you can make the NordVPN application return to normal as before.